If you have a different way of making them, or if I missed something, please let me know below. Also let me know if you make this dish. Would love to hear how it turned out!
Write a review
1 hr 20 min
1 hr 20 min
- 1/2 lb of black beans
- 5 c water
- 2 green peppers
- 1/2 lb salt pork
- 1/2 lb onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 lb rice
- 2 oz bacon
- Rinse beans and place in a large pot with enough water to cover the beans by 2". Slice and seed a green pepper and throw into the pot. Let beans soak overnight or at least a few hours.
- Cook beans in the same water over med-low heat until they are soft, approx 45 minutes. When they are done, remove three cups of water and set aside, then drain the rest of the beans in a colander and set aside.
- Cut up the salt pork into small pieces and fry in the large pot until cooked thoroughly - do not drain.
- Add the onions, garlic and green pepper to the pan and saute until onions are soft,
- Add the beans, three cups of water, bay leaf and oregano and bring to a boil.
- Dice the bacon and fry in a pan, add the rice and saute together for a few seconds until the rice is coated/mixed with the bacon.
- When the water starts to boil, add the rice and bacon to the pot, stir, and cover the pot. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit an additional 5 minutes.
- This can also be made with red beans to make congri.
Cooking in Cuban https://cookingincuban.com/